- Cardiff University BA Hons (1st Class)
- Nottingham Law School
- Inns of Court School of Law
- Employment Law Bar Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
Areas of Work
- Civil Litigation
David specialises in employment law and civil litigation. In 2015 David was appointed to the Attorney-General's Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown. David undertakes employment and civil work for numerous government departments.
David has been listed in the Legal 500 as a Leading Junior in employment law for a number of years. Recent comments have included the following:
'Sought after to deal with complex, multi day matters'Legal 500 2015
'Strong in education sector employment disputes'Legal 500 2014
'Recommended for local authority and education sector disputes'Legal 500 2013
David has a busy civil litigation practice in which he is regularly instructed in fast and multi track claims arising from accidents at work, stress cases, road traffic and public liability claims. David has conducted personal injury work of the upmost severity including brain injury litigation.
David acts for Claimants and Respondents in all areas of employment law including discrimination, whistleblowing, unfair and wrongful dismissal, TUPE, holiday pay, restrictive covenants and equal pay.
David's notable cases include:
- A sex discrimination claim listed over five days. David secured a settlement for £140,000 for the Claimant on the first day of the hearing.
- An unfair dismissal and sex discrimination claim on behalf of the Claimant heard over six days. The Claimant was awarded compensation in excess of £80,000 and was awarded her costs.
- An unfair dismissal claim on behalf of two Claimants. David cross examined the Respondent's witnesses for two days after which the Respondent made an unreserved admission that the Claimants had been unfairly dismissed. The Claimants were together awarded over £100,000 in compensation.
- A five day discrimination and unfair dismissal claim on behalf of a Clinical Lecturer against the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. The Claimant was found to have been unfairly dismissed and she was awarded her costs.
- A whistleblowing claim heard over four days. David acted for a Local Authority in a claim involving serious allegations in respect of the care of service users. All of the Claimant's claims were dismissed.
- A whistleblowing claim acting on behalf of an investment company. The Claimant was a trader who sought compensation of £2 million. The Claimant's claim was dismissed.
- Williams v University of NottinghamUKEAT/0124/07/RN - on the territorial scope of discrimination legislation.
- British Association of Shooting and Conservation v CokayneUKEAT/0467/07 - on the consequences of a dismissal on withdrawal under Rule 25 of the ET Rules.
David is a personal injury specialist and acts for Claimants and Defendants in fast track and high value claims including accidents at work, road traffic accidents, Fatal Accident Act claims, public liability claims and stress claims.
David's notable cases include:
- A historic sexual abuse case on behalf of the Claimant (led by Simon Gorton QC). Damages are claimed in excess of £1 million. This case is ongoing.
- A criminal injuries compensation claim on behalf of a brain-injured child. Prior to David's involvement the CICA had offered £250,000. David advised on the additional medical evidence needed and drafted a schedule of loss. The Claimant was award the maximum compensation available under the Scheme of £500,000.
- A catastrophic brain injury case (with leading counsel). David drafted the schedule of loss for the purpose of a JSM and advised on quantum for the approval of the settlement. The claim settled for over £4 million.
- A high-value and complex stress at work claim. Leading counsel was instructed for the Defendant. David secured significant damages for the Claimant at a JSM.
- David has acted for the Government in a range of personal injury claims including a claim brought by a soldier against the Ministry of Defence.