- Cardiff University BA Hons (1st Class)
- Nottingham Law School
- Inns of Court School of Law
- Employment Law Bar Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
Areas of Work
- Civil Litigation
David specialises in employment law and civil litigation. David regularly acts for Claimants and Respondents in high value, multi-day claims in the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeals Tribunal. He is ranked in the Legal 500 for his employment practice. David has a busy civil litigation practice in which he is regularly instructed in claims arising from accidents at work, industrial disease claims, stress cases, road traffic and public liability claims.
David acts for Claimants and Respondents in all areas of employment law including discrimination, unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal, TUPE, holiday pay, restrictive covenants and equal pay.
David acts for a number of local authorities and is recommended in the Legal 500 (2013 edition) for local authority and education-sector employment disputes.
David's recent notable cases:
- David secured a settlement for £140,000 for a Claimant on the first day of a five day sex discrimination claim.
- David acted for a Claimant in an unfair dismissal and sex discrimination heard over six days. The Claimant was awarded compensation in excess of £80,000 and was awarded her costs.
- David acted for an investment company in a whistleblowing claim by a trader who sought compensation of £2 million. The Claimant's claim was dismissed.
- David acted for two Claimants in an unfair dismissal claim. David cross examined the Respondent witnesses for two days after which the Respondent made an unreserved admission that the Claimants had been unfairly dismissed. The Claimants were together awarded over £100,000 in compensation;
- David successfully opposed the application for permission to appeal to the Supreme Court in Hospital Medical Group Ltd v Westwood  EWCA Civ 1005 (led by Simon Gorton QC).
David is a personal injury specialist and acts predominantly, although not exclusively, for Claimants in claims arising from accidents at work, disease and stress claims. David's disease work included claims for noise induced hearing loss, work related upper limb disorders and skin complaints.
David was recently instructed in relation to two high-value stress at work claims. The claims were against large organisations and both involved career loss. David secured significant damages for both Claimants. David recently acted successfully for a paramedic in another case involving career loss. The claim involved serious injury sustained by the Claimant when lifting an obese patient.
David is regularly instructed in respect of public liability claims (in which he acts for Claimants and Defendants) and road traffic accident claims. David has particular experience in dealing with all aspects of credit hire litigation.
David has recently conducted CPD accredited training for solicitors in relation to claims under the Fatal Accidents Act and claims under the Work Equipment Regulations.